Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Monday, December 29, 2014

2014 Personal Reading


Faces of Holiness: Modern Saints in Photos and Words by Ann Ball


I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Thérèse of Lisieux by Fr. Jean C.J. d'Elbee
I have appreciated reading this book during Lent a few times. It makes for a wonderful little retreat. Each time that I read this book, it provides me with more to ponder.


I wish that I could recommend this book, but I can't. Several years ago, the mother of a family for whom I tutored gave my husband and me recordings of talks that Fr. Hardon, S.J. had given to a group of either seminarians or dads. In his talks, Fr. Hardon spoke about the Blessed Virgin Mary and the fact that she is full of Grace. He spoke about how many people try to take this title away from Our Blessed Mother by referring to her as merely "highly favored". Towards the end of his presentation, Fr. Hardon advised his listeners to burn any bible (or book) that they owned that referred to Mary as highly favored instead of full of Grace. He said, "If you can't burn it, then send it to me and I will burn it for you." In the meditation for the Fourth Sunday of Advent (Year B), Mother Mary Francis explains the Angel Gabriel's greeting to Mary; however, instead of referring to the Mother of God as being full of Grace, she refers to her as being "highly favored". I am not advising book burning; I am sharing that Our Blessed Mother is full of grace. The Angel Gabriel greeted her, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee." O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse the thee.

Mother Love by Rev. Pius Franciscus

Living the Liturgical Year by Dom Gueranger


The Glories Of Mary by St. Alphonsus Liguori
This book is truly excellent!


Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori
Every Catholic should read and reread this short, inexpensive, easy to read booklet.


A Brief Life of Christ by Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Ven. Sheen wrote this short, easily digestible book two years prior to writing Life of Christ. I didn't have time to read Life of Christ this past Lent, so I read this book instead. It was perfect.

Children and Parents by Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Sheen's Children and Parents is an excellent, easy to read book that is full of wisdom for parents.

The Cross and the Beatitudes by Ven. Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
The Cross and the Beatitudes takes Our Lord's seven last words and juxtaposes them with the seven Beatitudes, showing us how Christ embraced the beatitudes as he was dying on the cross and how we can live them. If you live in the same county as me, our library system has several copies of this book. It is well worth reading.


Saint Bernadette Soubirous by Abbe Francois Trochu
I am thankful to Fr. Dennis Gordon, FSSP for recommending this book to me. If anyone wants to know more about St. Bernadette Soubirous and/or Our Lady of Lourde's appearances to her, this is the book to read. Abbe Trochu writes beautifully about St. Bernadette's life and our Blessed Mother's appearance to her. He provides the reader, or perhaps I should say, "St. Bernadette's words or life" provide the reader with much food for thought. St. Bernadette didn't become a saint because Our Lady of Lourdes appeared to her; rather, she became a saint because she lived her life according to God's will without complaint. Saint Bernadette Soubirous would be a great book to read during the month of February. I highly recommend this book.


The Conspirators and the Crown by Hugh Ross Williamson

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:46 AM

    Lent is around the corner. Consider also reading Fr. Groenings' The Passion of Jesus and Its Hidden Meaning (formerly called The History of the Passion).
    thanks for the book list,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...