Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Friday, April 25, 2008

Attempting the Impossible Booklist Confession

I have tried. I have really tried to read some of the books on my "Reading List". I have attempted to read Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life, The Hidden Art of Homemaking, Simplify your life: get organized and stay that way, but I just can't do it. I can't help but think what a waste of time...I could be reading something else, or I could be cleaning. I did read Splendor in the Ordinary and Don Aslett's books without any trouble.

Perhaps my inability to read these books is because according to others I tend to be a naturally organized person. My house may be messy at times (I have six young children), but I do have a place for everything. Children's clothing has always been placed in marked bags and then into marked boxes/tubs. Toys have always had a home in containers of some sort. Bills have always been filed in the kitchen, where I see them often and am reminded to pay them in a timely fashion. Appointments, extracurricular activities, etc. are always written down as soon as they are scheduled. School supplies (pencils and art supplies included) have a home. Or maybe I am in self denial about the state of my home.

Does the fact that I cannot read the books on my list mean that I am giving up on making more room in our house by October? Definitely not, I am continuing to pray, give things away, and clean. Tomorrow, in addition to spending time weeding in the backyard, I fully intend to spend a couple of hours working on continuing to turn our old learning room into a bedroom.

If I am able to read any of the remaining books on my reading list, I will share. However, I am thinking that I will stick with reading what I prefer. What are the books that I prefer? I like to read anything written by Pope Benedict XVI, saint biographies and autobiographies, books on education, titles in Bethlehem Books' "Living History Library", Michael O'Brien's books, Melissa Wiley's books, classics, any of the numerous picture books or other books that I read aloud to my children, and the list goes on and on.

I have appreciated everyone's posts on organizing, homemaking, etc. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm finding that it is more beneficial to spend the time actually cleaning and organizing than just reading books about it! The reading has helped me... but then I was not "born organized" as flylady would say! :) The hardest thing for me is just doing it, since there are so many other things that I would rather be doing. On top of that, it is SO frustrating when you clean one room and all the rest are torn apart in the meantime.

    That is WONDERFUL that you have a place for everything in your home!! I wish I could say the same. I am working on it!

    Can't wait to meet you next week! It's coming up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have a place for everything, but we have too many things for our house and it is a mess. I need to learn to let go of everything and give away a lot of things that have made their way into our house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...