Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Pre-Lent Daybook

Outside my window...
It is still dark, but I can hear planes flying over our house.

In the kitchen...
I am thinking about what I should make for dinner tonight.

I am listening to...
the sound of Kieran breathing as he lies next to me. I am so thankful to God for our little boy.

I will be wearing...

a skirt, sweater, black tights and shoes later today.

I am praying for...
Our pastor that he finds a permanent location for our parish, a location that will allow the parish to grow and that will ultimately serve to bring greater glory to God.

I am thankful...
Everyone is well again. We had a nasty flu bug go through our house and as usual most of us fell like dominoes. I was most worried about Kieran because he has coughed every single night (and during his daytime naps) since contracting the whooping cough last July.  The last thing that I felt he needed was a fever, vomiting, and .... Thankfully, Kieran is still nursing and weathered the flu fairly well. Hopefully, his cough will cease in the near future.

In the learning rooms...
Catherine is practicing for her piano adjudications.  Theresa is excited to almost be finished with her math for the year. I need to determine whether or not I should move her right into Saxon Math 7/6 or give her a long break from crunching numbers.  Brendan finished his science book and immediately asked, "What science can I do next?" He is asking for a microscope (suggestions are welcome) and various supplies to make another bug board.

Bernadette is drawing and drawing and drawing. When she was little, she used to finish pictures in her workbooks. If there was a picture of a car, she would draw a person sitting in the car. If there was a picture of a head, she would draw the body. If there was a picture of a horse, she would draw someone riding the horse. At times, I found it nerve-racking. I would think that she was working on her lesson and instead I would find that she had been completing what she saw as unfinished pictures. Now, she draws pictures on the back of her lesson plans, on newsprint, on whatever she can find. She has a couple of sketchbooks, but they aren't always close enough for her to draw what is in her mind. I cringe when I see one of her drawings ruined because it was done on a piece of scrap paper.



Patrick and Finnian continue to be very conscientious learners. They are a joy to teach.

At least once a day, I hear Elizabeth saying, "Do school with me." So, I pull from what we have to teach her. She is learning to read and enjoys coloring. I gave Elizabeth some beeswax crayons which seem to have motivated her to stop coloring everything pink or purple and to start using somewhat realistic colors. I like the rich colors of these crayons and their triangular shape. The shape of the crayons is helping me to gently show Elizabeth how to correctly hold crayons and pencils.

Living the Liturgical Year...
I read this excellent article. (Thank you, Kimberlee, for sharing it.) We are preparing for Lent. It is hard to believe that Ash Wednesday is next week. Our grapevine wreath and toothpicks are ready. I am trying to remember where I stored our Stations of the Cross. I was happy to see this family's sign. I hope that they don't mind, but I copied their sign and will be hanging it in our dining room this Lent. It can be found here if you want to do the same.

I am pondering...
these passages from We and Our Children: How to Make a Catholic Home:
We can give a child all other knowledge, an appetite for all other devotions, a familiarity with every other aspect of the Faith; still, if he does not have reverence and awe and finally impassioned love for the Mass, he is spiritually only half alive. It is probably one of the most intricate of all the lessons to teach, but it is the one he will thank us for the most, all the days of his life. (pp. 129-130)
There is a difference between an educated man and a knowledgeable man. The first knows why he is here and uses knowledge to discover his relation to God. The second does not know why he is here and uses knowledge as the end itself.  (p. 147)
I am reading...
Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
This is the second time that I am reading this book. St. Therese of Lisieux was my paternal grandmother's favorite saint. She was also my mother-in-law's favorite.

Plans for the rest of the week...
  • Mass
  • I am hoping to spend a little time in the garden. I also need to get some gardening soil, so that I can start some seedlings indoors. I had intended to do this in January, but it never happened.
A picture thought...

Hobbit House

We threw a Hobbit party for one of our children. I was happy to be able to add GandalfBilbo, and Thorin to the cake we made. The guests liked the invitation, going to see the movie, the decorations, the Hobbit meal (per the book's description), the games, and dancing to Hobbit music. I think that everyone had a great time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you like our sign. I made nearly the same cake for a birthday party for my two middle boys in December! Have a fruitful and happy Lent. :0) That's what we'll be trying to do.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...