Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Monday, October 07, 2013

Prayers to St. Joseph

Yesterday, during his sermon, our pastor mentioned praying to St. Joseph for a holy death. Growing up we did this after our family Rosary each night by praying the following prayer which was found in 1505:
O St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in thee all my interests and desires. O St. Joseph, assist me by thy powerful intercession and obtain for me all spiritual blessings through thy foster Son, Jesus Christ Our Lord, so that, having engaged here below thy heavenly power, I may offer thee my thanksgiving and homage.

O St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating thee and Jesus asleep in thine arms. I dare not approach while He reposes near thy heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath.

St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for me.
 
Amen
In 1889, Pope Leo XIII shared and recommended that the following prayer ("Ad te beate Joseph") be recited daily after the Rosary during the month of October, attaching it to his encyclical Quamquam Pluries. In March 2011, Pope Benedict XVI asked that the "Ad te beate Joseph" be offered for his protection and intentions.
To thee, O blessed Joseph, do we have recourse in our tribulation, and having implored the help of thy thrice holy Spouse, we confidently invoke thy patronage also. By that charity wherewith thou wast united to the Immaculate Virgin Mother of God, and by that fatherly affection with which thou didst embrace the Child Jesus, we beseech thee and we humbly pray, that thou wouldst look graciously upon the inheritance which Jesus Christ hath purchased by His Blood, and assist us in our needs by thy power and strength.
Most watchful Guardian of the Holy Family, protect the chosen people of Jesus Christ; keep far from us, most loving father, all blight of error and corruption: mercifully assist us from heaven, most mighty defender, in this our conflict with the powers of darkness; and, even as of old thou didst rescue the Child Jesus from the supreme peril of his life, so now defend God’s Holy Church from the snares of the enemy and from all adversity; keep us one and all under thy continual protection, that we may be supported by thine example and thine assistance, may be enabled to lead a holy life, die a happy death and come at last to the possession of everlasting blessedness in heaven. Amen.
It is time for me to renew my devotion to St. Joseph and to instill in my children a deep love for Christ's foster father on earth.


St. Joseph, Patron of departing souls, pray for us.


Queen of the Most Holy Rosary, pray for us.

Happy Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary!

May God bless you and your families!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link to the recommendations of Leo XIII. That is a beautiful prayer indeed. I have a holy card with the top prayer on it that I pray every morning. I agree that it's important to pray often (and teach our children to) for a holy death. Hope you had a blessed feast day yesterday! God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kimberlee. We did have a blessed feast day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...