Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Friday, February 27, 2015

Goodbye February Daybook

Outside my window
My bulbs are starting to bloom. Our miniature irises have come and gone. The crocuses (the penitent's rose) and hyacinths (lily-among-thorns) are blossoming. The daffodils (Mary's star) have buds, and our tulips (Mary's prayer) and Easter lily are sprouting. Our Lenten Roses are also in full bloom. I need to set aside more time for gardening. Spring must be just around the corner.

Photo by Bernadette

I am wearing
a khaki skirt, a red shirt, and a fleur-de-lis flexi clip.



In the kitchen
My girls are making Kimberlee's delicious spinach lasagna. This lasagna tastes so good that I sometimes feel guilty about eating it during Lent. Don't just take my word for it, try it.

I am hearing
one of my daughter's playing the piano. I am also hearing one of my sons singing.

I am praying for
my dad. I spoke with him yesterday, and he told me that the doctor told him that the left ventricle of his heart is only operating at 20%. The doctor wants to fly him to another island to run some tests. It is so hard to be so far away from my dad, when I know that he is suffering so much. It is hard for him to speak, etc.

I am thankful for
Facetime. My brother gave our oldest daughter an iPad shortly before the birth of our eighth child's birth, saying that it would allow us to share the joy of our baby's birth with my dad. At the time, I had no idea what an incredible gift he was giving. Facetime has allowed my dad to see our last two little boys right after they were born. It has also allowed my children to see and speak with their grandfather.

We are learning
We have had an amazing February. The children are focused and learning. I have been spending a lot of my time working on math with my older children. One day, as I lay on the living room floor with Patrick, explaining his math to him, my two youngest were playing quietly behind me. Wondering how Kieran was keeping his baby brother occupied, I turned around and gasped, "Oh no, what are you doing?" Kieran responded, "I am cutting his hair. It looks good. Huh?" My little boy's hair is now shorter than it was when he was born.

Our Happy Little Boy
The top picture shows our happy little boy on February 9. The bottom picture shows him on February 11 (you can't really see the damage). The large picture shows him after I cut his hair. I would have needed to cut it even shorter, practically bald, to erase all evidence of his brother's hair cut. Thankfully, our little guy is so easy going. He sat still in his little chair while I buzzed his hair.

How did Kieran get the scissors? Well we did the Our Lady of Lourdes art project again from Seton's Art 1 for Young Catholics. When the children were finished, we cleaned up, but one pair of scissors must have remained out.

Our Lady of Lourdes Grottoes

I am reading

Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus Liguori. I have read this little booklet numerous times, and I love it. I think that every Catholic should read it and reread it. St. Alphonsus Liguori's advice in this inexpensive little gem has helped me when I am crying in the car as I drive home, thinking how can I possibly do this? I don't have enough hours in my day to do all that I need to do. Then I remember St. Alphonsus' words, and I pray and remind myself that I cannot do this alone. I can only do it by the grace of God. If you haven't read this little booklet, I highly recommend that you get a copy and read and reread it.

Each morning, I am reading First Communion Days to the children. Since Elizabeth will be receiving her First Holy Communion this year, I thought that we should pull this little book off our bookshelf again. She is enjoying hearing the stories about the children and their First Communions.

I am listening to
Last weekend, as I worked on laundry and ironing, I decided to listen to this 2008 Lenten Mission again. I want to listen to bits and pieces of it again this weekend.

I love my husband
On St. Valentine's Day, he surprised me with this beautiful little rose bush and a card.



A few anecdotes
About a week ago, Kieran was saying that his diaper was wet and that it was disgusting. I told him that he could go on the big boy toilet next time (he does occasionally). He responded, "That would be hilarious. People would laugh at me." Say what?

Earlier this week, I was speaking with another mother after our children's choir class, Kieran came up to me and asked, "Can I have the keys?"

Kilian really likes music. Yesterday, he heard a couple of notes from "Rock-a-Bye Baby" and he started to sing, "Rock a bye, Rock a bye." He doesn't say, "Rock", but he does sing whatever he says to the correct tune.

Last night, the little children were listening to Gi'Me Elbow Room. Some of my older children think that the singing could use improvement, but Catherine, my younger children, and I enjoy the music. Anyway, I came into the living room and found Kilian waving a plastic stick in the air and banging it on the ground to the rhythm of the music. Bernadette and I were both impressed.

I hope that everyone is having a blessed and fruitful Lent.

God bless you!

2 comments:

  1. So pretty flowers, Christine! We will miss all the typical spring flowers this year. That is kind of strange. So sad to hear about your dad. Where does he live? I thought it was strange to read that he should fly to a different island for his problems. We just read a similar hair cutting episode in "Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family." You little one still looks good. And you are a good example that not all people get the February blues when homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eva, for your encouragement and prayers. I will send you an email about my dad. We will have to pull "All-of-a-Kind Family" off of the shelf. I don't remember the hair cutting episode, but I look forward to reading it. God bless you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...