Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Friday, April 27, 2012

Baptism

"-Receive the sacraments soon and frequently. This cannot be emphasized enough. Baptize babies immediately. If Aunt Martha can’t make it for two months to see the baby, go ahead and throw the baptismal party when it’s convenient for her, but don’t postpone the sacrament to fit her or anyone’s schedule. It is most important that the child receive his baptism as soon as possible after birth. It is less important that mom is up for visitors, and more important that the baby enter the Church."

When my husband and I were married, we agreed that our children should be baptized as soon after birth as possible. A couple of months after the birth and baptism of our first child, I started tutoring for a homeschooling family. One day, my baby and I arrived at this family's house and found the mother still in her pajamas with no makeup on her face and slightly puffy eyes. I asked her if she was okay. She answered in the affirmative and told me that it was the third anniversary of her second son's death. We spoke for awhile before I headed downstairs to teach her four eldest daughters. Her healthy young baby had unexpectedly died during his sleep one night. This mother of eight (now nine) children shared with me that her baby had been baptized shortly after he was born by their friend, Fr. John Hardon, S.J.. She went on to tell me that because her little baby boy had been baptized, she could take comfort in knowing that he was a saint in Heaven. This caring mother ended the conversation by saying, "My hope for all my children has always been that they become saints, that we all meet in Heaven one day. I keep reminding myself that I now have one less soul to worry about."

Since that time, my husband and I have always tried to have our babies baptized on the Saturday or Sunday following our child's birth regardless of whether or not relatives can be present. This has not always been possible due to circumstances beyond our control. However, all of our children have been baptized within the first month of their birth, as Holy Mother Church encourages.

Despite knowing that I am doing what the Church encourages in regards to Baptism, I still need to learn to simply trust completely in God's will. I cannot help but worry about the souls of my children during the days before they are baptized. I cannot help but constantly pray to Our Blessed Mother to protect and care for my newborn baby until such time as he/she is baptized. I wish that each of my children could be baptized immediately after birth.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...