Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Gestational Diabetes Diet

Once again, I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. This is my fifth pregnancy with this diagnosis. Hopefully, I will continue to be able to control my blood sugar levels with diet. Although an insulin needle is a lot thinner than a pre-filled Lovenox needle, I have no desire to be poking myself with another needle. So what do I eat to keep my blood sugar levels in check?

Breakfast Options:
  • Egg, slice of cheddar cheese, whole wheat toast, cup of whole milk
  • Scrambled egg with cheese and/or ham, cup of whole milk
  • Vegetable omelet, cup of whole milk
Breakfast cereals make my blood-sugar levels spike and so does oatmeal. I have not tried steel cut oats or Cream of Wheat yet.

Mid-morning Snack Options: 
  • Apple and a slice of cheese
  • Popcorn with parmesan cheese
  • Kirkland Signature Greek Yogurt with a banana (the KS yogurt has 24 grams of protein which enables me to eat the banana too)
  • Some almonds or cashews and a fruit
  • Spoonful of peanut butter
  • Raw vegetables
Lunch Options:
  • 2 slices of sandwich thins with lunch meat, a slice of cheese, lettuce, and a slice of tomato
  • Leftovers from dinner
  • Egg salad sandwich, using sandwich thins for bread
  • Tuna fish sandwich, using sandwich thins for bread
  • Quesadillas
  • Salad
Afternoon Snack Options:
  • Same as mid-morning snack options (see above)
Dinner Options:
  • Chicken, brown rice, vegetables, lettuce salad with homemade salad dressing
  • Beef, brown rice/potato, and vegetables, lettuce salad with homemade salad dressing
  • Fish or other seafood, brown rice, vegetables, lettuce salad with homemade salad dressing
  • Lentil dish or soup
Nighttime Snack Options:
In the past, I have been able to eat the snacks mentioned under mid-morning snack. This time, it is not working for me to eat a snack before bed. When I do so, my fasting blood sugar levels rise above 90. When I don't have a snack, my levels are in the 70s in the morning.

Kieran

I actually have more problems with my blood sugar levels plummeting than I do with them spiking. My children can tell you how often I say, "Please get me... to eat. I feel like I am going to pass out." When I have checked my blood at these times, my levels are anywhere between 58 and 63. My doctor has told me that some of her other patients have told her the same thing, but she doesn't understand why some women who test positive for gestational diabetes experience and are affected by such lows. Thankfully, other than breakfast and lunch, my diet doesn't change much. We tend to eat the things listed above anyway. If I think of other things that I can eat, I will share them.

Kieran

I can't wait to hold this little one in my arms in three months. The children are anxious to know whether this baby is a boy or girl.

9/3/2013 Ultrasound
16 weeks

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with these additional health issues while carrying your little one! I will pray for you, that things stay under control and you have no dramatic (scary!) plummets or dangerous highs. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were expecting, congratulations! Have you ever tried a gluten-free diet? Sometimes that really helps with blood sugar issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kimberlee and Eva. I have not tried a gluten-free diet. I will speak with one of my sisters who cannot tolerate gluten about what she eats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an older post but I stumbled upon it when searching the web for some encouragement. I'm a Catholic mother expecting my seventh child and newly diagnosed with gestational diabetes for the first time. I'm struggling so much with feeling like I have failed in some way and have been having a hard time with being afraid to eat, which is ultimately counterproductive for gestational diabetes. It gives me a lot of hope that you had GD several times (although I'm sorry you had it!) because I am now feeling like I am not equipped to bring this child into the world. I'm 36 so I know that contributes but it has been humbling and hard so far. Thanks for helping me believe that it can get better. Many blessings to your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandi,
      You are welcome. A friend texted me the other day because she was diagnosed with gestational diabetes for the first time. Below are my responses to her:

      "I am sorry to hear it, but look at it as an opportunity to get healthy.
      I test every hour and sometimes 2 hours as well if I am elevated. I've gone from upper 200s to under 120 by walking on the treadmill.
      Protein and exercise are your friends. 30 minutes of walking or yard work are great. I used the treadmill with Aidan because I was diagnosed when I was 5 weeks, and the A1C (or whatever it's called) was positive for the prior months.
      Potatoes spiked me this time. I found that homemade soups were great.
      I always have pecans, walnuts, almonds, cheese, eggs, and KS yogurt in the house. Anything other than whole milk makes me spike.
      My dietician says that when it comes to fruits and vegetables: Green means go, yellow/orange mean caution, and red means stop. The red fruits and veggies have more sugar.
      Please let me know if you have any questions.
      You and baby are in my prayers.
      God bless you!"
      "With my last two pregnancies, I could no longer have an evening snack or my blood sugar levels would be high in the morning. With my last two pregnancies, I was also placed on Metformin for the last month or so. I stopped taking it with Aidan because I think that I had a reaction to it."

      Brandi, you are definitely equipped to bring this child into the world. I was over 40 when I gave birth to my last two babies and in my early 30s the first time that I was diagnosed with GD. It really is just a motivation to eat healthy food and exercise. I will add you and your baby to my prayers. Please let me know if you have any questions. God bless you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...