Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Accepting God's Will

Not too long ago, I read a true story in a book. I don't remember if I read it in The School of Jesus Crucified, The Twelve Steps to Holiness and Salvation, or another book. I don't even remember the story very well. I do remember the lesson that the story was imparting and I have been ruminating on it ever since.

The saintly author told the story of a man who prayed to get well. After his prayer was granted, he realized that being well may not have been God's will for him. So the man prayed that if it was God's will that he be sick, then he wanted to be sick again because he knew that whatever God's will was was better for his soul than what he wanted. The man became sick once more.

My pastor has said on more than one occasion that we are called to embrace our crosses, not fight them. St. Therese of Lisieux said, "For one pain endured with joy, we shall love the good God more forever." St. Teresa of Avila shared, "We always find that those who walked closest to Christ were those who had to bear the greatest trials." God allows us crosses in order to help us grow in holiness. Our response to the crosses that we are sent, whether the cross be an illness or something else, can either help or hinder our souls.

My Jesus, mercy.
Thy will be done in my life and in my death.

7 comments:

  1. This is very important to hear in our time and age. Suffering is a "no-no" for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying for you, Eva.

      Delete
    2. I just noticed that I never thanked you here. Thanks so much for your support.

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Eva.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:53 PM

    Thanks Christine! I needed to hear that message today:)
    " God allows us crosses in order to help us grow in holiness. Our response to the crosses that we are sent, whether the cross be an illness or something else, can either help or hinder our souls." God's will not ours!
    Kathleen L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kathy. I prayed for you this morning. May God bless you and your family!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:27 PM

      You are all in our prayers also!
      Kathy

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...