Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Saturday, December 14, 2013

2013 Personal Reading

Bernard of Clairvaux by Henri Daniel Rops
I felt that this book left a little something to be desired. I thought that it was going to give more insight into St. Bernard of Clairvaux, but half of the book spoke about what happened to St. Bernard's monasteries, how various orders came to be, and the history of those orders. If someone is interested in the history of the Trappists, etc., then they might want to read Bernard of Clairvaux.


I thoroughly enjoyed this book about St. Bernard of Clairvaux and his holy family. If you or someone you know is trying to discern entering the religious life or a vocation to the priesthood, this book is a must read. The Family that Overtook Christ is a beautiful book and would make a great gift. I have heard that other books by this inspirational author are also worth reading.


I have wanted to read this book for many years. I am thankful that I finally did so. Forty Dreams of St. John Bosco provides a lot of information for parents (and single people) to contemplate. I hope to read parts of this book to my older children in 2014. I was amazed by most of St. John Bosco's dreams. The book was truly edifying.


Handbook For Parents: Common-Sense Rules for Catholic Mothers and Fathers by Fr. Paul Wickens
As the subtitle states this little booklet discusses common-sense parenting. Hopefully, Tan Books/Neumann Press will republish it.


Husband and Wife: The Joys, Sorrows and Glories of Married Life by Fr. Paul Wickens

Jesus, Our Eucharistic Love: Eucharistic Life According to the Examples of the Saints by Fr. Stefano M. Manelli, O.F.M.
I was given this book years ago by a very dear friend of our family. Fr. Manelli shares stories of the saints and their love for the Holy Eucharist. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.



The Little Way of the Infant Jesus by Caryll Houselander
I decided to reread this book for Advent. It is appropriate for Lent too. I have not gotten very far in my reading, as this Advent has been busy. Caryll Houselander's book was originally published as The Passion of the Infant Christ and has also been published under the title, Wood of the Cradle, Wood of the Cross. It is cheaper to get the Kindle edition of this book.

The Man Who Got Even With God  by M. Raymond, O.C.S.O
This book was okay, but it didn't hold my attention like The Family that Overtook Christ.


Servant of God Fr. Emil Kapaun (pronounced ka-pawn, the a in ka is pronounced like the u in cup) is a favorite war hero of a dear friend. When I saw this book, I knew that I had to read it. I now understand why my friend respects and admires Fr. Kapaun so much. He was an amazing priest. I am hoping that my library will agree to carry this book, A Shepherd in Combat Boots: Chaplain Emil Kapaun of the 1st Cavalry Division, as I think that it might provide even more insight into the life of this heroic priest. At Theresa's confirmation retreat I learned that Ann Ball's Faces of Holiness includes a section on Fr. Kapaun.


I highly recommend this book. Peter Lappin does an excellent job of painting a beautiful and memorable picture of St. John Bosco's mother, Margaret, sharing tidbits about St. John Bosco at the same time.


Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Third Edition by St. Therese de Lisieux
This is the second time that I have read this book. I found it so much richer this time around and I look forward to eventually rereading it. I understand why St. Therese was my paternal grandmother's favorite saint. She is also one of my favorite saints.


Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child by Anthony Esolen
A friend from our local Catholic homeschool group recommended this book to me. I am thankful that she did. Mr. Esolen does an excellent job of encouraging parents to take responsibility and to provide children with what they truly need.

Based on the title, I expected more from this book. It is basically a collection of book analyses.


The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila
Although St. Teresa of Avila wrote this book for her sisters, I think that married/single women and men can benefit from it too. It has taken me a while to read this book, but it is good.


I have read the reprint of We and Our Children and/or How to Raise Good Catholic Children, a few times over the years. Last year, when I saw that the unedited We and Our Children was available, I knew that I had to buy it. I am glad that I did.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Christine. You know I always appreciate your book recommendations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Kimberlee. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...