Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our Lady of Knock and Our First Day of School

We like to start school on a Marian feast day. Yesterday, the Feast of Our Lady of Knock complemented our Irish heritage and therefore, marked our first day of school for the 2006-2007 school year.

Catherine, with whom I have been using Seton for the last four years, was very excited to sit down and start working with me on her lessons once again. She is anxious to write her book reports, as she really enjoyed reading the books Seton sent for this purpose. She truly loves to learn.

Bernadette is enrolled in Seton for the first time this year. I have questioned my decision to enroll her all summer. However, if the first two days of school are any indication of whether or not I made the right decision, then I definitely have. This is the first time that she has shown an interest in learning with me. She likes her lessons. She is enjoying working with me and her love of history is being fed with Seton's second grade materials and her sister's fourth grade history book. Before school even began, Bernadette had read and shared with us the stories in How America Began by Father Furlong. Catherine and Bernadette look like they are going to really enjoy the upcoming year.

I am pulling together my own curriculum for Brendan again this year. He will be using some of Seton's books, continuing Teach Your Child to Read in One Hundred Easy Lessons, using plenty of manipulatives, and joining his sisters in their continued study of Latin and Sign Language.

Our little angel has been joining us in our studies since last year. Theresa has never been one to be left out, so I am continuing to pull out the Montessori materials that I used with her siblings. She has insisted on beginning Teach Your Child to Read in One Hundred Easy Lessons and begged to have school books like those of her sisters and brother. Thus, she is using one of the Golden Books that Laura Berquist recommends, Everywhere We Go, and Seton's Kindergarten Handwriting for Young Catholics. She seems satisfied with these books for now, but I am prepared should she want more.

What am I doing with our little toddler? Like his siblings who were all toddlers before him, Patrick joins us each day for our lessons. He plays with plastic animals, sits on my lap, colors, strings wooden beads, naps, listens to stories, rips an occasional book, etc. His sisters and brother also take the time to play with him. He gives us the distraction we need and never lets us forget that he is present.

I pray that we and all who homeschool have a wonderful year!

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF KNOCK

Our Lady of Knock Queen of Ireland, you gave hope to your people in a time of distress and comforted them in sorrow. You have inspired countless pilgrims to pray with confidence to your Son, remembering His promise; “Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find.” Help me to remember that we are all pilgrims on the road to heaven. Fill me with love and concern for my brothers and sisters in Christ, especially those who live with me.Comfort me when I am sick or lonely or depressed. Teach me how to take part ever more reverently in the holy Mass. Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death. Amen.
Our Lady of Knock, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...