Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Saturday, July 07, 2007

A Summer Reminder

Please remember to put sunscreen on your children this summer.

I learned a hard lesson this week. For the past seven years, my children have played in our shady oasis (aka our backyard) without a single worry. On the 4th of July, my children and I set up their little pool in our backyard. As in year's past, the pool was in the shade. Throughout the day, the children played in the pool. When he wasn't napping, Patrick joined them. At the most, Patrick probably spent about four hours outside.

In the afternoon, my husband brought Finnian outside and I realized for the first time that we were not in the shade. I moved my chair to the only shady spot that I could find and continued to watch the children in the pool. A few minutes after Finnian joined us, I noticed that Patrick was getting sunburned. I told all of the children that it was time to come inside. Due to last year's windstorm, our shady oasis had turned into a suntanner's delight.

We applied Aloe Vera to Patrick's sunburned shoulders and back. On Thursday evening, July 5, we noticed that Patrick had a few small blisters on his left shoulder and we gave him a cold bath. By Friday morning, the blisters had formed one large blister, over one inch in diameter. I took him to our pediatrician's office shortly after they opened.

I felt awful. The nurses and doctor tried to reassure me, saying that several children had come in the day before with blistering sunburns. The nurse cleaned around Patrick's blister which was now measuring closer to two inches in diameter. The doctor gave me some prescription strength antibiotic ointment to apply if the blister popped and a prescription for Tylenol with codeine for my son's pain (I didn't fill the prescription, as the children's Tylenol and Motrin were working). Patrick has a second degree burn because I did not put sunscreen on any of my children on the 4th of July.

Please remember to put sunscreen on your children.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 AM

    I am so sorry this happened. This is something I tend to forget when the kids are playing outside. I hope he's recovering fast with no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am so very, very, very sorry. How horrible for you and for poor little Finnian.

    My mother still shudders (and feels bad about) a horrendous sunburn I got in Florida as a child. It didn't take long either!

    Praying for you and your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:06 AM

    i hear what you say..but i think they're too 'politically correct' about sunscreen here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder, Christine! I am so sorry for both of you. We mothers feel so guilty when we forget the sunscreen, and Alice is right, it happens so fast!

    Blessings to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had a sunburn this bad. It's hard to remember at times to put it on myself, but it is SO important. A little time in the sun is all it takes. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...