Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Monday, August 20, 2007

Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and Montessori

When my first child was about six weeks old, I attended a conference and heard about the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Everyone at the conference was invited to register for CGS training. I wanted to do so, but I knew that the timing was not right. Thus, I turned to the library and discovered a little gem by Sofia Cavaletti and Gianna Gobbi, Teaching Doctrine and Liturgy: The Montessori Approach. This book, printed in 1964 with photos and pictures, shows how Sofia Cavaletti drew from Maria Montessori in starting what would eventually become the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.

I believe that the last paragraph in the book shares the key to the "Montessori method", the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, and all successful education.

"The Montessori method is based on love, and the genius of the great educator lies in the fact that she made love the foundation for man's dealing with himself, his fellow men and with God."
p. 132

7 comments:

  1. So, so true. A beautiful quote. Shouldn't all we do be based on Love - as St. John of the Cross reminds: "In the evening of our life we shall be judged according to our love."

    By the way, I know you did not allow comments on your previous post on family size, but it is beautifully charitable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, thank you for sharing the quote from St. John of the Cross. It is beautiful.

    My previous post came from the heart and was written with love. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. I hope a copy of this book is still available.

    I find it amazing that the library at your area has tis book. In my country (Singapore), our library do not carry much religious readings.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are fortunate that our library system carries this and other books. I pray that one day this will be true of Singapore and other countries who do not allow religious books in their libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is a year old, but I was searching for that title, because they quoted from that book in training today. It's a very rare title, expensive! Even though Gobbi and Cavalletti's plan for Catechesis wasn't finished, it sounds like this books explains more of the why through children and the senses. The quote we heard integrated St. Thomas Aquinas.

    Wish I could find a copy. Our library system is so inadequate for OOP books. Not one Edward Dolch book, nor Rumer Godden, to name a few authors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn, I just put the book on hold. For the first time, it says "Check Shelf". I pray that it is still there. If it is, I will scan the book for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Christine! Thank you! I do hope it's there!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...