Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 Personal Reading



I found this book informative, but it was also shocking in places (I did not need to know some of the information). I thought that the last couple of chapters were the most interesting/helpful.

Growth In Holiness by Rev. Frederick William Faber

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition) by the Monks of New Skete

How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With by Clarice Rutherford and David Nell

Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman
I enjoyed reading this book. It is full of beauty and love. At times, I found myself saying, "Oh, I/we do that." (Assign children to a day of the week; child checks mail, etc. on that day.) At other times, I thought, "What a great idea!"  Although this book's title suggests that it is for large families, I think that home educators can benefit from it regardless of their family size. I haven't implemented all of Mrs. Brenneman's suggestions, but I have implemented some of them (folding laundry with my children for 15 minutes each day).  I really appreciate Kim Brenneman's candid sharing. Yes, I do know that Mrs. Brenneman is writing from a Protestant perspective and recommends some Protestant catechisms in one of the chapters of her book. Alternatives to these recommendations include: reading the bible, using the Baltimore Catechism with your children, trying to assist at daily Mass, frequenting the Sacrament of Confession, studying history, and teaching your children  history. "To be steeped in history is to cease to be Protestant." (Cardinal Newman) Kim has given mothers a wonderful gift with this book.

Life of Christ by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

My Daily Bread by Fr. Anthony J. Paone

Thy Will Be Done: Letters to Persons in the World by St. Francis de Sales

Victory Over Vice by Archbishop Fulton Sheen

A Year with the Saints: A Virtue for Every Month of the Year translated by A Member of the Order of Mercy, Mt. St. Joseph's Seminary

The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
I read this book in order to discuss it with one of my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...