Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Why He Does What He Does



Yesterday, despite the fact that some of us are sick, we decided to head to the beach and finally take our Christmas photo. Prior to leaving the house, I told all of my swimmers that they were not to go in the water. Upon arriving at the beach, I reiterated my instructions.


As usual, Patrick's desire to wade through a rocky stream, outweighed his knowledge that he should listen to me. The first time that he decided to scale the rocks and water, he fell in waist deep, wetting his shoes and pants. Upon emerging from the water, he removed his socks and shoes. The second time, he fell in waist deep again. The third time, Patrick soaked himself from head to toes and I decided that it was time to head home.


As the children buckled themselves in their seats, I told my crying son, "Patrick, you know Catherine also wanted to walk through the stream, but she has learned that it is important to listen to me. I don't tell you not to do things in order to be mean. I tell you not to do them because I know what the consequences will be."


Without missing a beat, Patrick responded, "If I listened to you, our family would be boring." 

My dear boy, you've always known how to keep life interesting. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...