Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Catechesis of the Good Shepherd

God has blessed me with a good friend (Rosalie), who I met at a swimming pool, shortly after moving to our current home. Rosalie has received all three levels of training for the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (something that I would like to do, but God has not called me to do). Two years ago, Rosalie, guided by the Holy Spirit, started an Atrium in her home. Brendan attended the Atrium and grew in his love for Jesus. Last year, he was not able to participate and he really missed doing so. I knew how he felt, but for various reasons, it was not feasible.

This year, Brendan is happy to be participating in the Atrium once more (I wish Theresa were doing so too). Every Friday, I take him to Rosalie's house. He walks in, takes off his shoes, placing them under a bench. If necessary, he removes his coat and hangs it on a peg. Then, he quietly walks into another room and sits down on a mat.

When I pick him up, he voluntarily shares with me what he and the other children did. He mentions, Lillian ringing the bar tone, Joseph making leaven and how big it got, and that he traced. He shows his siblings how to carry a chair and roll a rug. He asks me to do certain things in our home that he has experienced in the Atrium.

What changes have we made in our home due to Brendan's participation in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd? During Advent, we use a snuffer to extinguish the candles (Brendan has taught us how to use it). An appropriately colored cloth graces our prayer area. Brendan enjoys helping me change the cloth based on the liturgical year. We have a Mass kit that he and his siblings like to use. We have plants (two philodendrons) that the children are responsible for watering. I have found that Brendan brings home what he learns by participating in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd and our lives are made richer because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:09 PM

    What a blessing to have met this friend and to have the opportunity to share in her Atrium. It sounds like a wonderful experience for you son.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...