Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Monday, October 30, 2006

All Saints Potluck

Last night, we celebrated our annual All Saints Potluck at our parish. The children look forward to it every year and plan who they want to be well in advance of the date. On the other hand, I tend to put their costumes together at the last minute, sometimes changing who they are going to be out of necessity. For instance, this year, Theresa wanted to be St. Zita. Instead, she dressed up as St. Catherine of Siena. She was quite happy to do so, but she told me that next year she wants to be St. Zita.

My animal lover wanted me to decide who he should be. It was quite easy. Of course, I chose St. Francis. He was quite happy to tell me what he wanted to say about St. Francis and to be surrounded by fake birds. He did confide to me that he wished they could be real animals.

Bernadette wanted to be her patron saint and wrote some beautiful clues about her. But alas, I really did not feel up to sewing this year (all of our costumes were made by mixing and matching previous years' costumes) and so she decided to be Blessed Imelda Lambertini. I thought that this was very appropriate, as Bernadette will be making her First Communion in a few months.

I am happy to say that Catherine dressed as St. Rosalina of Villeneuve. This is who she wanted to dress up as. In doing so, our family and friends learned about a saint who we had not been aware of previously. However, after I saw the above photo, I wondered whether I should have taken the time to make a St. Faustina costume for Catherine.

What did we do at the All Saints Potluck. We ate some delicious food. Listened to the clues that the children provided, regarding who they were. Finally, the children played organized games.

Prior to leaving, I found myself thanking God for some wonderful friends. Catherine became sick towards the end of the evening and vomitted in the carpeted stairwell. Several moms offered their assistance. One of them did not want me down on my hands and knees and so she (Barbara) got down and cleaned up my daughter's vomit. I do not mean to make anyone queasy, but I am still in awe of Barbara's giving nature. She is one of the most selfless people that I know. Dear God, please help me to be selfless and giving.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:10 PM

    The children are lovely in their costumes. I hope Catherine is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these costumes are fantastic--truly beautiful.

    My girls are going as (I think--they may change by tomorrow) St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, St. Gianna Molla, St. Elizabeth of Hungary, St. Kateri Tekakwitha (or possibly St. Philomena--Marie needs to make up her mind), and St. Brigid of Ireland. I am still working on something for four year old Patrick!

    [I laughed to learn that your daughter was not supposed to be St. Faustina, because when I saw her in front of the Divine Mercy image, I gasped right out loud, "Where did you get that image for the costume?"]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rebecca and Alice. Catherine is feeling much better. I am hoping that our pastor has the Divine Mercy image on the stage next year, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful party. What wonderful costumes and memories (and what a wonderful friend!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:32 AM

    These are lovely costumes! It looks like they had a ton of fun too. Seeing all these youthful saints is just the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...