Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall Daybook

Outside my window...
It is dark and foggy, but I know that it is supposed to be a sunny day. 

I am listening to...
the sound of silence all around me. The children are all still sleeping.

I am wearing...
my pajamas. Later today, I will be wearing a skirt, a sweater, these shoes, and my Beco baby carrier (I found mine like new in the box at a consignment store for a lot less). This baby carrier is so comfortable. It is helping me be able to get things done around the house while keeping Kieran where he likes to be, in my arms.

I am thankful...
that the children's choir went well yesterday. The children have been participating in our parish youth choir for the past two years. This year, it is meeting at our house. I am a little stressed about having choir take place at our house because I am having a very hard time keeping the house "company ready", my focus is on my baby and teaching the children at the moment. Despite this, I enjoyed visiting with the moms while the young children played. The older children were happy to see their friends again.

In the Learning Rooms...
Our school year is off to a good start. My two oldest are fully enrolled in Seton again this year. They have also both decided to study French. I am enjoying teaching them this beautiful language.

Brendan is enjoying his science once again. He has been sharing various things that he learns with us. I am trying to convince him of the necessity of math.

Finnian read the first book in the Primary Phonics Series yesterday. He did a very good job and read it fairly easily. I will have him read the book again today; tomorrow, I will have him read the second book in the series.

We are using three different styles of lesson plans this year: Seton's plans, one style inspired by Jen, and another that follows Maria Rioux's format using our books. I was happy to supply my children with the type of lesson plans that they requested. I decided to place saint quotes at the top of the weekly lesson plans. The children are appreciating the inspiration. Assuming that I remember to update the quote, my four oldest children's lesson plans contain a different quote each week.

Some of the quotes that I have used are:

"I made the resolution never to consider whether the things commanded me appeared useful or not.... it is love alone that counts. Forget about whether something is needed or useful; see it (the demand, rule, obligation, etc.) as a whim of Jesus." 
~ St Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face 

"How happy I am to see myself imperfect and be in need of God's mercy." 
 ~ St Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face 

"The goal of all our undertakings should be not so much a task
perfectly completed as the accomplishment of
the will of God." 
~ St Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face

“I am not capable of doing big things, but I want to do everything, even the smallest things,
for the greater glory of God.”
—Saint Dominic Savio

“Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart?”
—Saint Gerard Majella

"Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.”
—Saint Patrick

“O Jesus and Mary, let my entire consolation in this world
be to love you and to suffer for sinners.”
~ St. Bernadette Soubirous

“O Jesus, I would rather die a thousand deaths than be unfaithful to you!” 
~ St. Bernadette Soubirous

“If you are what you should be,
you will set the whole world ablaze!” 
~ St. Catherine of Siena

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring.” 
~ St. Catherine of Siena

I am pondering...
this quote:
"If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins 'you shall receive a never-fading crown of glory.' Even if you are on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil as sorcerers do who practice black magic, and even if you are a heretic as obstinate as a devil, sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if - and mark well what I say - if you say the Rosary devoutly every day until death for the purpose of knowing the truth and obtaining contrition and pardon for your sins."
St. Louis Marie de Montfort
The emphasis is mine. I have been praying the Rosary daily since childhood. I have to admit that in college I did not always do so daily. I would sometimes fail to do so and at other times I would fall asleep praying the Rosary. Lately, I have had a hard time focusing when we pray the family Rosary. This quote reminds me that we should be praying this beautiful prayer faithfully and devoutly. My very holy and faithful paternal grandmother prayed all fifteen mysteries of the Rosary daily. Before she died, she  told my dad, "I had the most beautiful dream." When my father asked her about what she had dreamed, my grandmother replied, "I cannot tell you." In her diary, she also mentioned that she had had the most beautiful dream, but she did not share what it was. Although I pray and have Masses offered for my grandmother's soul, I have no doubt in my mind that she is in Heaven.

From the kitchen...
I am hearing someone who has woken up, as I have been typing. I am wondering whether the child will be eating cereal or if I will be smelling bacon and eggs soon.

I am reading...
The Mirror of True Womanhood. This book is giving me much to ponder. I have also been skimming some vegetable gardening books and a couple of cookbooks. I rarely follow dinner recipes, but I do like to look at them for inspiration. With busy days ahead of us, I am thinking that I might be using the crock pot a little bit more.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
The children will ride their bikes again this afternoon while I walk behind Elizabeth pushing her on her tricycle. (We have an older version of this tricycle which had a few different features, including a brake. This trike is one of the best toy investments that we have made. It has received a lot of use over the years.) We are taking advantage of the good weather as long as it lasts.

I am hoping to get my hair cut.

I am planning to take Bernadette to look at violins. I had only intended to rent the one that she is using for a year. Where did the time go?

A picture thought...

Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.

It's October and the three wave petunias that I planted in April or May are still growing and spreading. Brendan commented that they look like a carpet of flowers leading to Mary. I pray that our Blessed Mother leads him to God.

A prayer that I like...
Like most families, we pray the Fatima prayer between the mysteries of the Rosary.

“O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...