Children

Children
"God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."
(1 Jn 4:16)

Monday, October 22, 2012

Walking Time

When I was in high school, my parents started going for weekly walks along a local waterfront. In fact, they were still doing so after the birth of my third child.  Occasionally, they would invite one of us to join them, but usually they went alone.

When our family started to grow, I was tutoring for a large Catholic homeschooling family. On one occasion, my husband and I drove to this family's house together. As we drove into the lane that lead to their house, we saw the parents walking together, pushing their youngest child in a stroller. We stopped and chatted with them and Mary shared that she and Will realized that they needed to spend some time together, walking was a great way to do so. She told us that as couples start to have children, it is so easy for a husband and wife to stop spending time with each other, just the two of them.

In July, our pastor came over for dinner. We always enjoy sharing a meal and visiting with him. We also appreciate his little bits of wisdom that he imparts. While he was here, he recommended that my husband and I go out and get some ice cream together at least once a month. We both liked the idea of going out regularly (we usually only do so once or twice a year), but taking a walk together seemed more appealing.

In September, we drove to the beach and strolled along the boardwalk one night, chatting as we went. A couple of weeks ago, we were planning on returning to the boardwalk, but the ominous rain clouds floating in the sky made us decide to walk around our neighborhood instead. As I put my shoes on and placed Kieran in the baby carrier, Elizabeth dressed herself to join us. Being a softy, I told her that she could come with us for our first trek around the block. When we returned home to have Elizabeth go inside, Finnian came running out. He joined us for our second stroll around the block. I wasn't surprised when we returned him to the front door to see our blond son wander out. After three times around our neighborhood, we decided to head inside. Our fourth oldest child was waiting at the door when we returned. We told her that we would have to give her a rain check.

I am thankful for my parents' example, friend's words, and my pastor's advice. I am looking forward to another walk with my husband. May God bless him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I hope that you have a wonderful day! God bless you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...